Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Women in the Sew

From where or whom do you get your inspiration?  Yes, the beauty of nature, your family--especially kids, history, an event,  current or past trends of clothing or interiors -- or the simple pattern of a newly introduced fabric, a vintage button  or the color of that yarn you just bought.

During the weekend of the 11th at the ICE show here in Atlanta, I had the pleasure of meeting and showing along side several amazing women who are all brilliant artists and designers and who have created some very successful businesses. We chatted craft, business, kids, multi-tasking, the King of Pops (see Jessica Swift's blog for more info on that delicious subject). I found their humor, hard work, their varying aesthetics, their talent and openness completely inspiring.  This week I've been working on the theme of my winter 2011/2012 collection.  More to come on that subject as I solidify my designs.

I also met Deborah Moebes owner of the fabulous fabric studio Whipstich, and Ellen Lucket Baker whose blog TheLongThread.com boasts 75,000 visitors a month!  Talk about inspiration--both these ladies have recently published a book.  Deborah's book, Stitch by Stitch, is a lovely companion for those who make clothing, and focuses on garment constructing techniques. I don't know about about you, but I can get in a rut using the same techniques, sewing the same thing over and over.  

Ellen's book 1-2-3 Sew features 33 unique and simple projects that allow you to build your skills as you progress through the book. This past Saturday I went to Ellen's book signing and took a class she taught on one of the projects in the book--making a clutch.  Ooh la la.  You should see what I can do now! 


Deborah and Ellen at the ICE show.  Thanks for the inspiration ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment